Model 81 in 300 Savage Ammo Questions

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Wildgoose

Model 81 in 300 Savage Ammo Questions

Post by Wildgoose »

Well winter is finally starting to wind down here in the central midwest and I am running out of time to indulge in my new found passion for the two 81's I picked up. I have managed to at least test shoot the 30R but with match season starting in little more than a month I need to start casting and loading for my compitition rifles so time grows short. I havent shot or even bought dies,brass and bullets for the 300 Savage yet so I thougt getting some information from the list might speed things up. What works for you 300 Savage shooters best in these guns? Round nose or flat, any spire points or are they problematic? What bullet weight would be best for deer hunting? It would be nice to just give it all a try but deer season will be here before I get to it. Any suggestions would be appreciated to fast track the process.
Did a bit more looking down the list and decided to edit this. Seems I am asking a pretty redundant question here. I will give the listed 170 grain Nosler RN Partition and 40 grains of H4895 a go. :roll:
Last edited by Wildgoose on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
rem81auto

Re: Model 81 in 300 Savage Ammo Questions

Post by rem81auto »

Ahh, Nebraska one of my very favorite upland hunting destinations. I guess I had been out there at least 20 times. The nicest people on average I have met anywhere ... what part of the state are you located ??. Dennis
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Southeastern NE, Lincoln/Omaha area. Plenty of birds and big bucks. :D
tx81

Post by tx81 »

Last year was the first year I hunted with my Model 81 in .300 Savage.

Used Remington Core-Lokt in 150 grain quite successfully. Pic of one of them is somewhere in one of these forums.
wayno

Post by wayno »

my first post.

i am interested in reloads; not that i can reload, but those that i might purchase from private or commercial sources. i am searching for the lightest load that will reliably cycle the action. i am thinking 125=140 grain bullet at about 2300 fps.

any resources?
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I make a lot of gun shows, and the commercial reloaders I see don't sell anything very far out of the mainstream. I don't remember seeing any .300 Savage reloads anywhere. Not to say they don't exist, but a reloader selling them might be rare as demand would be low. Most any hobby reloader could reload the .300 Savage for you if you provided dies and reloading components, if he is willing to do so. In the US, it's legal so long as you provide at least the empty cases so that the reloader can't be considered as being a commercial for-profit operation. I don't know the rules in other countries. For an outlay of around $100-150, you could do it yourself if you plan to shoot much.