Hornady Superperformance ammo??

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
JimfromBend

Hornady Superperformance ammo??

Post by JimfromBend »

Has anyone tried the new Hornady Superperformance 35 Rem. ammo in their 8's or 81's yet? I'm going to give Hornady a call and get some feedback from them but does anybody have a thought on this topic? Just curious....
gramps35

Re: Hornady Superperformance ammo??

Post by gramps35 »

Hmmm, looking at their site I only see 35 Whelan listed.

I have tried their LEVERevolution ammo in mine though. Shot alright but I had some feeding problems. I guess my old girl like the round nose.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Even if .35 Rem Superperformance were available, I can't see much benefit to its use, as the standard round will do everything that needs done at any range at which the Model 8/81 would be both accurate and effective - and at a much lower cost. I can say the same thing about Leverevolution ammo, which does exist in .35 Rem. If you want to shoot at furry things out beyond 150 yards, you should really be using another and more accurate rifle in a suitable long-range caliber (.30-'06, .308, .270, etc.)

I will say Hornady has a truly gifted marketing manager to come up with this expensive stuff, and to make people believe they actually need it. He's probably making his fat annual bonus from the increased profits.
JimfromBend

Post by JimfromBend »

OOOPS.....My mistake. It was Leverevolution 35 Rem. I saw at the local Bi-Mart store. Oh well, same questions. I was just thinking that maybe with the more aerodynamic design on the bullets the old 35 might just get a little better trajectory out of the round. I guess if there's a feed problem with them though better trajectory would take a back seat. Seems like the guys that shoot the old 30-30 are sounding pretty happy with 'em and the 30-30 was a 100-150 yard gun for a long time. Some of the old 8's and 81's are scoped so distance on a shot could be increased with confidence.
JimfromBend
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Jim,
I agree with the answer of the marketing manager at Hornady being in line for a fat bonus.Of the variety of calibers offered by Hornady in the Leverevolution loading only the 30-30 shows a significant difference that I can see.This is why the 30-30 people with Marlin and Winchester lever guns are so happy.Testing with my 336 in 30/30 against 170 softpoints the point of impact at 150 yards measured about 5 inches difference.This was with zero at 100 yards. I`ve done the same test with a 336 in 35 rem and the difference was within pilot error. If you are really interested in a load for 8 and 81`s in 35 that will make a difference and not give you feeding problems you need to roll your own. To up the performance into the 300 Savage category I load 180gr Speer flatpoints.This gives a bit more range at higher velocity but the 180 still hits hard down range not the pitiful performance of the useless 150 grain factory loaded 35`s.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I woonder if all of the Hornady Leverevolution calibers must use cases with short necks due to the longer bullet nose section required with pointed bullets?

One can theoretically load spitzer bullets in .30-30 (or .30 Remington), but to not exceed the maximum 2.52" OAL, the 125 grain spitzer is about the heaviest feasible bullet that can be used with a standard-length case. Heavier bullets have longer noses, and when seated to achieve maximum OAL, the intersection of the cylindrical body with the nose is below the case mouth. In my Model 81, that screws up feeding.