rear tang sight question

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
JimfromBend

rear tang sight question

Post by JimfromBend »

So I've got a model 8 that looks like the one in the web site heading picture. It has a lyman rear sight like the one in the picture. Trouble is that when you swivel the sight up, it falls into it's detent past over center. Is that adjustable? It looks like a guy might be able to loosen up the lock nut on the sight base screw. But would that allow for the actual sight to be repositioned? You guys have been real helpful in the past since I joined. I'd just like to say thanks in advance.JimfromBend
Sarge756

Re: rear tang sight question

Post by Sarge756 »

Jim,
If this is a Lyman #1 tang site it has a locking lever on the left side.After raising the post from the rearward rest position to upright sighting position move the lever forward (you will hear and feel some clicks).This will lock the post in position.Moving it rearward ( more clicks) will allow the post to swivel back to rest position.If it does not operate properly this way someone has messed with it or it is badly worn. Hope this helps.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
JimfromBend

Post by JimfromBend »

Sarge756,
The lever rotates and locks the sight O K but what I'm experiencing is with the sight unlocked and in free mode you rotate the sight to the up position and it moves into a sort of detent. But the detent position is past staight up. It seems to go to far before it slips into the detent. In other words if the sight movement were measured in degrees, instead of moving say 45 degrees, it's moving 60 degrees before falling into the detent. Am I making any sense? Does anybody still have any printed info on these old sights?
Thanks, JimfromBend
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Jim,
I have nothing to help you regarding getting inside the sight.

My reading and my own sights, all indicate that the detent is set up correctly but.... Thus, I'm wondering if you have the wrong sight for your rifle? (I've never consider this an option before!)

Perhaps we could help best if we backed up a bit and started from the ground up:
1. Pictures:
a. details of the sight itself
b. and/or pictures of it on the rifle
2. From "the book": "application is stamped on the underside of the base", what is stamped there?
3. Any other details or writting on the sight, etc.?

If nothing becomes obvious from the above, it would make one wonder if it has been taken apart and put back together backwards or ....? (Yesterday, I ran across a situation where the hammer in a revolover was installed backwards! - it would be safe to say that just before the old gentleman passed away he had lost it!) Seems anything is possible :roll:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
JimfromBend

Post by JimfromBend »

I'll try and get some pictures together showing the concern I'm writing about. It may be that it's put together wrong internally.
Jim