Model 81 - Take down

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Gunny

Model 81 - Take down

Post by Gunny »

I was wondering what the general opinion is on taking down the Model 81 when transporting,
meaning removing the barrel ? Reason is I was thinking on building a custom wood case for it
with sections for the barrel assembly and the other section for the stock and receive section .

I just wasn't sure if thats a good ideal to take her down a lot, and if there would be problems
putting her back together each time ?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated ...
[i]Mr. Clinton, America didn't trust you with our health care system.
America didn't trust you with gays in the military.
America doesn't trust you with our 21-year-old daughters,
& we sure, Lord, don't trust you with our guns.
Charlton Heston quote[/i]
imfuncity

Re: Model 81 - Take down

Post by imfuncity »

Your on a roll now... not only is it a good idea but exactly why it was made the way it was.

Back in the day before private vehicles, "Sports" or "Sporters" (that's us) had to use public conveyance a lot (train, stagecoach, streetcar, etc.) thus most long guns were "take downs" to fit into a valise or special made case.

On a side note, I always ship them taken down too makes it a lot less obvious what it is.
Last edited by imfuncity on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Gunny,

There is absolutely no problem in breaking the gun down and putting it back together. Mr. Browning knew how to design a rifle and make it easy for the user to use. I also agree with the shipping statement made by imfuncity. I mail them all the time through the USPS Prioity Mail triangular boxes for a flat rate.

I have a custom case like you are talking about and am in the process of having a very special case built for another project. I would very much like to see your plans for your case. There aren't many out there and it is always good to see another version.

There are some pictures of my case someplace on the website and they may be in the Gallery section. If you can't find them, let me know and I can send them to you via an email. Just contact me at jack1653@att.net.

jack1653
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I have a leather case that came with the Model 8 I have when my father bought it. The ends have fallen off and the handle is off of it, but I have them. Keep saying to myself that I'm going to get it repaired. The case body is OK.
KEN
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

First of all, I like to thank each of you for your input, I appreciated it very much
and I can see now I am going to enjoy being a member of this community.

Well I wasn't sure and thought I ask before venturing forth. I was just concern
that being taken down a lot, would be a problem later or if it went back together
as easy as if would be to take her down.

I got an ideal that its in it's infancy, that I am rough sketching out for now.
Hey Jack1653, once I get this ideal lined out better on paper, I'll send it to you
to see what you think. If anyone else would be interested in seeing it, just let me know.

I am thinking along the line of nice wood material, affordable, but still classy
and thinking along some liners of different lining materials that would make it
stand out as well as offer good protection for the rifle.

I am sure something will come to mind and it should turn out to be really nice....

kenhwind, from some research I've been doing, I hear say that the original leather case for these rifles
is as desirable if not even more, sure might be something to look into in having it repaired.
Least from what articles I've found about this rifles

Again, my sincere thanks for your valuable input...
[i]Mr. Clinton, America didn't trust you with our health care system.
America didn't trust you with gays in the military.
America doesn't trust you with our 21-year-old daughters,
& we sure, Lord, don't trust you with our guns.
Charlton Heston quote[/i]
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Ken,
Henwood's book pg 221 has some "ad" drawing of leather cases but it sure would be great to see real pictures. Maybe even some before and after shots - if and when you get it restored.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I'll try to get a picture up for us to look over. I'm in the process of moving; the case is in the new place, but was in storage, and the camera is here.

Many years ago I had bought a reblued Winchester Model 97 Shotgun. Well we, my brother and I decided to give it to our Dad. So my brother built a case out of teak plywood for the shotgun, felt lined, brass corners, etc. It looked like a wooden suitcase. Don't have it any more, but I don't see why one couldn't be built for the Model 8 or 81.

PS: Just looked in Henwood's book, the case I have isn't tapered, and each end opens.
KEN