What have I got?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
JimfromBend

What have I got?

Post by JimfromBend »

I recently picked up a model 81 Remington. I've got some questions about it. The serial number is 24171 and the barrel is stamped on the inside collar as a 300 sav. In looking on the bolt face i see 35 stamped. The previous owner hunted with it and shot 300 sav. ammo out of it and it functioned and shot just fine. Is this a pieced together rifle? Also, a friend has what we think is a model 81 in 35 rem. and the bolt face is also stamped 35. The friend's rifle doesn't have a model number stamped on the receiver, and the serial number is low, 15490. We don't see a date stamp on his barrel. Is this a model 8 or model 81? Mine is stamped with what looks to be R22 or RPP, it's hard to tell. Any ideas as to what we've got? Thanks for any help, JimfromBend
imfuncity

Re: What have I got?

Post by imfuncity »

Pictures would help but ...

It would appear that yours is a Model 81 serial numbered in 1946, likely when it was shipped; with barrel code RPP (Nov 1945) which is actually close to the serial number date, something often not so. Bolt face has little to do with the cal., I believe that 35s and 300Sav were interchangeable as were 25, 30, & 32.; they were often no marked at all. The determining factor for the correct cartridge for your barrel is the collar on the barrel, therefore you probably have a 300SAV Model 81 shipped in 1946.

As to your friend's, it is a bit more problematic without pictures. But making a blind guess: "nothing on the receiver" and only a serial number, you are likely correct in that he has a Model 8 in 35REM made in 1909 (barrel codes were not started until 1921).

Pictures would confirm and help a dull Saturday evening past! Did I mention pictures? :mrgreen:

Oh by the way, welcome to the forum and the addictive M8s and 81s.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
brian.35

Post by brian.35 »

Hi Jim,
I'm not the most knowledgeable member of the forum but here are my thoughts:

Do the serial numbers on the barrel and receiver match on your rifle? One possibility might be that your rifle was originally a .35 caliber and someone swapped barrel assemblies with a .300 Savage. Or maybe it was always a .300 Savage and the bolt was replaced with a .35 bolt for some reason. I don't think that the .300 & .35 bolts are interchangeable because the cartridges bases are not exactly the same size. Since the rifle is new to you it might be a good idea to have it checked out by a good gunsmith to make sure it is safe to shoot.

If your friend's rifle is identical to yours then it is probably an 81. Most model 8 stocks would have a straight grip or a pistol grip with a rounded nob(like the one at the top of this page). The model 8 will also usually have a slimmer forend with a take down screw that looks like a sling swivel.

Brian
81police

Post by 81police »

JimfromBend,

I will concur with IMFUNCITY's post. The marking on the extractor has little to do with exact caliber designation. .300Sav and .35Rem used the same extractor which will be found either marked "35" or unmarked. This is common and correct per your rifle, it's nothing to be alarmed about. The caliber of your rifle is what is marked on the barrel extension (you referred to this as the barrel collar) NOT on the extractor.

Barrel jacket date codes are on the left side of the barrel jacket just forward of the barrel jacket head. Often times on the right side of the barrel jacket you will find an "REP" which is basically a Remington proof marking.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Jim & Brian, (Cam, thanks for your input.)
Good question and good advice. We do need to know what to watch for and often we take things for granted. Not to get TOO analytical on this (and obviously I'm not into football)... :ugeek:

I am no gunsmith, as a matter of fact I've never had the receiver of an M8 or M81 apart, let alone a bolt but it has been my understanding from those who do work on them that there were basically two extractors....

Whoa! :o Stop the presses!!
Before writing anymore, on a whim I decided to check some of mine. (What a concept!)

The extractors were certainly marked different.
My 2 "extras": one marked .30 the other plain (as I remember, couldn't find them right off hand.)
Then these on the rifles:
1907 M8 .35 cal. extractor marked "30"
1909 M8 .35 cal. extractor marked "35"
1920 M8 .25 cal. extractor marked "30"
1920 M8 .30 cal. extractor marked "30"
1939 M81 .32 cal. extractor marked - plain
1946 M81 .300Sav cal. extractor marked - plain
1947 M81 .300Sav cal. extractor marked "35"
The width of all were basically the same at .30.

It would appear that there may have been only one extractor for the M8 & 81!??! Anyone know for sure? :?:

As to the bolts being different, that would seem reasonable (?) as my current ammo heads measure:
.300Sav - .467 rim
.35Rem - .452 rim
.25, .30. 32Rem - .416 rim

I do not have the expertise to confirm that the bolt face is different for the calibers. I simply know that all my rifles work with said extractors and current ammo. (And, also that a .30Rem shoots terrible out of .32Rem barrel but feeds and ejects just fine! :oops: )
Now back to our regularly scheduled Super Commercials. :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Great observations Mitch!

Just to reitterate, M81's in .300Sav with their extractors marked "35" is completely normal. The same extractor used for the 35Rem was also used for the .300Sav. I too believe bolts are different (circumference at the bolt face), I need to post some pictures to show this.

Great questions guys!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
JimfromBend

Post by JimfromBend »

I do appreciate all the good input from you 8's and 81'ers. I'll try and get some pictures together of the 2 rifles. An old man that was like a grandfather to me used to hunt blacktails with either a model 8 or 81. That is why I wanted to get one. I tried to acquire his but was about 2 years to late. It was sold in a gun shop in Santa Rosa, CA about 2 years ago. In talking with one of his relatives they thought it was a 30 Rem. which I guess would have made it a model 8. I sure wish I could have found his. Oh well, he still hunts with me in my memories. thanks again, JimfromBend
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Jim
Are you still out here on the left coast? Bend, OR? Use to know a guy on a previous 8/81 forum that lived in Santa Rosa, he had some of these rifles.
JimfromBend

Post by JimfromBend »

imfuncity,
Yes, I'm out here on the west coast. Bend, Oregon. Would'nt it be nice if the friend you talked about had the rifle I'm looking for! Do you still have contact with him? Maybe if he doesn't have the rifle he may know who does. How would I go about contacting him?
Thanks, JimfromBend
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

JimfromBend, Imfuncity,

I am also on the left coast...Roseburg, Or. It's great to know that information.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
JimfromBend

Post by JimfromBend »

ctgodog,
Been meaning to get down to your neck of the woods to do a little gold panning. I just retired last Sept. and want to get into that looking for the yellow metal. Best investment right now...guns and gold!!
JimfromBend
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

I retired about two years ago, finished all my projects on the home front....got bored and went back to work so that I could afford the hobbies that I now don't have time for, because I am working. Vicious circle!!!

My neighbor, who is a retired gun store owner, has a gold mine in the area, and spends a lot of time there in the summer. Winters, he spends a couple days a week in the store. You should get in touch if your in the Umpqua Valley, and we could have a discussion about YOUR 8/81 affliction.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]