Looking for 300 Savage load data for Model 81

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
J. Riekers

Looking for 300 Savage load data for Model 81

Post by J. Riekers »

I've been loading my 300 Sav w/ 165gr Speer BTSP and 170gr Speer FP (with the nose rounded off). I am getting perfect rifle function with around 2225 fps, however the bullet are not opening up at this velocity. I went up 100 fps but it didn't do a whole lot for the bullet expansion. Primarily I am shooting deer, but hogs and exotics are always a possibility so I need to be prepared. Range is usually 100 yds but may vary from 25 yds to 170 yds. After speaking to several bullet companies the most confident answer I got was from Nosler. They advised to use their 170gr RN Partition loaded to 2350-2450 fps. The tech was so confident he said "If it doesn't open up on a deer at 100 yds at that muzzle velocity I'll buy the rifle". Well, the rifle is not for sale - yet. Does anyone have experience with this bullet in the 300 Savage or extensive actual hunting experience taking game with a particular 300 Savage load? The load must be fairly low pressure but cycle the 81 flawlessly. Thanks in advance.
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
81police

Re: Looking for 300 Savage load data for Model 81

Post by 81police »

ever loaded Barnes TSX bullets?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I can see that this (along with the others on loading) is gonna be worth saving. Like the "talked with the bullet companies, techs., (ect.)..." that stuff really helps. Keep it coming guys, I may push the button and do that reloading thing yet. (Actually if it was a button I would have already pushed it. :roll: )
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
J. Riekers

Post by J. Riekers »

Well, like the Nosler rep said, their 170 gr RN partition will easily run 2370 fps with a medium pressure load and it is very accurate out of my 81. I used 40 grains H4895 and CCI 200 primer. Now to find a volunteer hog or exotic to test the terminal performance on...
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Love the "volunteer hog or exotic"!! Beats perforating paper any day.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine