300 Savage

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
ctgodog

300 Savage

Post by ctgodog »

This rifle seems to be in excellent condition and well cared for. Would the expert collectors on this board consider this to be a good buy.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =213071144

I came really close to pulling the trigger on the buy now price, but just couldn't justify the $$ right now.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
imfuncity

Re: 300 Savage

Post by imfuncity »

I'm glad you waited and ask. This is just my opinion but I hope it helps. I was considering making a post regarding it. I'm no expert nor a true collector but I have accumulated a few and I have a couple like this one. Thus I read their "ad/presentation" earlier today with some interest.

Both of my 81's also have the 5 holes for the M.L. STITH mount. But, I got them relatively cheap because of the mounting holes - even though one had the mount and the scope already on it. The other mount and scope were not a quick find but even as a newbie four years ago it was very do-able.

Also, it would appear that they are saying the stock has been refinished: "The wood has some nice figure & appears to have had a coat of finish applied sometime throughout its lifetime. The pistol grip on the butt stock, has had a cosmetic touch-up on the edge, closest to the bottom trigger plate tang area & has been there since we aquired (sic) the rifle."

Plus, the scope certainly is not perfect, I almost bought one like it, when I was looking.

Now, none of these things are bad. But, based upon past GB ACTUAL sales, (not the asking price or "this auction has ended" price) they are asking top $ for what should be a premium or at least a pristine rifle, scope, and mount.

Although I'd love to see it sell for this (I'd sell either of mine for this in a heart beat), I have followed several of their "sales" for some time now - IMHO it is significantly over priced as most of their stuff has been but they do a masterful presentation... 140 + pictures!! Good grief!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

By no means would I consider the Stith mount very rare & very unique nor seldom seen. It actually in fact, is often seen. I'd agree with Mitch the stock set has been refinished. In most cases a tapped receiver decreases the value, this rifle is pretty clean but I would not consider it something valued high to a collector, but more so as a hunting tool.

Just my 2 cents.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Thanks for your input...I kinda felt the same way. Although it is a nice well cared for rifle, it is not perfect. It has a few use flaws. I also thought that a 1946 300 Savage is probably not that rare. Heck of a presentation though. I got to looking at my 1907 30 Rem, and comparing it to their rifle, and I think it is almost as nice, with no scope mount holes!!!

Any way, thanks for your honesty and comments.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

This one has possibilities as a shooter: GB #213241344
Looks like it could be honest wear (forearm dark from carrying?), the starting price is in line, and no reserve.

If it was me, I'd certainly want to see more pictures, especially of the other side, plus ask a bunch of questions. (Some on-line buying thoughts: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1186)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine