is the model 8/81 a poor design

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
uhjohnson

is the model 8/81 a poor design

Post by uhjohnson »

i just looked at a 300 savage and noticed the barrel jacket was slightly moving in the head. is this a commom occurance with the design of the barrel jacket only being held in place with one pin. last year i bought a model 8 (1907) and the barrel jacket would rotate and pitch up and down. now i run into another, am i drawn to this, or is it a problem that a lot of these guns have and the owners are not aware of it. this design had to be a problem to remington and it should have been fixed by the time they started producing the 81 (even earlier in my opinion) by installing two or three pins if they weren't going to thread the barrel into the head. installing the barrel jacket into the head with a loosely tight fit and pin was remingtons way of saving money by not threading the two pieces together. i would like everyone with 8/81's to examine their barrel jacket/head fit and see if there is any free movement. i am starting to think the 8/81 barrel jacket/head could be a poor desigh
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
imfuncity

Re: is the model 8/81 a poor design

Post by imfuncity »

As you know from the other discussion
viewtopic.phpf=10&t=872&p=2515&hilit=ba ... 22af#p2515
Although a few others have had the same issue, it does not seem to be common. I have had over a dozen of these rifles and have had none loose; and only found one where someone had tapped on the pin to tighten it. I think you have a loose magnet. :)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

I think it depends on the abuse and miles put on the rifle. The barrel jacket is threaded into the head then secured w/ the pin. Forum member 2pversters has experience with rethreading and pinning these in his carbine work and the one I have from him is SECURE.

If you happen to pick up John Henwood's book, take a look at the FBI Model 81 section, the bureau had quite a bit of problems with this. They had Remington try a couple different methods to ensure a tight fit.

I've only seen a few with loose extensions.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I can think of several reasons for the jacket to become loose, but I feel that a major cause is somebody trying to disassemble it by clamping on the receiver extension and then trying to unscrew the barrel bushing.
Our Model 81 had a loose jacket so we disassembled it and drilled it slighty larger with a number drill and made a new pin. Because everthing was clean I soaked some Locktite around the ends.
I tried to assemble using Locktite and it locked up for sure, before it was together.

The threads seem to be tapered as it gets tighter to screw together when assembled.

A couple of set screws seems like a better alternative than one pin.
KEN
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

i am not trying to beat a dead horse with my starting a new thread about barrel jacket/head looseness but i had to because i ran into another gun with play, every gun show i go to, i will be twisting. the last thread i started no one mentioned the barrel jacket being threaded, just pinned, thanks for the info
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I don't think the horse is dead - seems to come more alive each time around! I had heard about the threads before but had forgotten. I too think the set screws would have been a good idea.

Good topic, good info. I posted the link to the other post for those who were not involved before.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine