MODEL 8 Disasembly pics

Post by JONBEGOOD »

Found this and thought it might help somebody
http://www.flickr.com/photos/buster_cha ... 42/detail/
jack1653

Re: MODEL 8 Disasembly pics

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Jonbegood,

Thanks a million for this posting!!!! This is the first time I have seen these pictures and they sure are good. Maybe 81police can figure a way to get the link posted in a special area. I know the picture will be helpful to others. Thanks again for the contribution.

Merry Christmas,

jack1653
ChopperDoc

Post by ChopperDoc »

Yeah, thanks for that. Very good info.
rrthomas

Post by rrthomas »

Hello - I am a newbie to the forum. I just recently obtained a Model 8 in 35 caliber. These disassembly pictures and instructions are great! However, I am wondering if there is anything similiar available for the reassembly process. I am trying to get my barrel components back together (didn't have any trouble getting them apart) and am having a very difficult time - primarily with keeping the recoil spring compressed while at the same time reinserting the barrel nut washer and then reinstalling the barrel nut and barrel jacket bushing. There has to be some "tricks" to the barrel reassembly process because it shouldn't be as much trouble as I am having - i.e., some way to keep the recoil spring compressed. Any help and or guidance would sincerely be appreciated.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome. I see you are online now. Why don't you PM me and we'll figure out some way to chat, then see if we can get you up and running again.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

rrthomas,

Glad to have ya on the forums! Reassembling the barrel assembly can be tricky, and sometimes it feels like it requires 3 hands. It doesn't though, it just takes patience and practice to stuff that recoil spring down in there. I use the nut washer to hold down compressed spring as best I can while screwing the barrel jacket bushing down with my right hand at the same time. You may not get it on the first try but you'll get it. Good luck.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I figured this one out a long time ago. After I found a pretty easy way, to do it, I was so proud of my self and was bragging about it to 2verpsters and he set me straight. He pointed out a couple of things that made it even easier. It seems he has been doing something similar for several years.

Bear with me a couple of days and I will get some pictures together and send them to imfuncity to post for me. In the meantime picture this. Take an old Phillips screwdriver that has a shoulder on it made of a plastic like material that can be ground off to the diameter of the slotted washer and small enough to go through the slotted jacket nut. The bit of the screwdriver should be about 6 inches in length. Slide the slotted jacket nut on the screwdriver followed by the barrel nut washer. Insert the screwdriver into the spring. Push the assembly into the barrel jacket far enough to allow for the easy turning of the slotted jacket nut into the barrel jacket. Tighten the jacket nut with the spanner wrench. Release the tension on the screwdriver and remove the screwdriver. Pay close attention to where the tab on the nut washer is located so that when you insert the barrel. the groove in the barrel will align with the tab. This sometimes takes a little practice, but DO NOT FORCE THE BARREL THROUGH THE BARREL NUT WASHER OR YOU WILL FOUL THE THREADS ON THE BARREL. Ask me how I know not to do this!!!!

Have fun.

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Pics to go with Jack's post above:
DSC_0882-1.jpg
DSC_0882-1.jpg (11.39 KiB) Viewed 8108 times
DSC_0884-2.jpg
DSC_0884-2.jpg (10.26 KiB) Viewed 8108 times
DSC_0888-3.jpg
DSC_0888-3.jpg (20.25 KiB) Viewed 8109 times
DSC_0889-4.jpg
DSC_0889-4.jpg (16.92 KiB) Viewed 8108 times
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

pure genius, thanks for the pics guys. I learned a new trick thanks to y'all.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

When we reassembled our guns. Well we had to disassemble the 81, not only was the barrel jacket loose so was the forearm retainer. Found some rust inside the jacket.

Anyway when I reassembled the barrel jacket I have a shotgun cleaning rod that has a handle like a screwdriver. So I placed everything in position and used it to push everything down and then start the bushing into the jacket. Worked pretty good.

Then we did the Model 8 and now we have this thread to help us, cool.
KEN