Barrel interchangeability?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
joke55

Barrel interchangeability?

Post by joke55 »

New to the site, but not new to the rifle. I have my dad's model 8 with straight stock in 32 Remington, and I also bought another M8 in 35 Remington. Love the rifles..got my 1st deer with one, and it is still the one gun that I can pick up and know it will hit what I aim at, no matter how long it has sat unused.

Question is: both rifles, (and I guess all) break down with a simple lever wrench under the forearm, separating the barrel assembly from the action. Are the barrel assemblies interchangeable, with headspacing in the barrel assembly, or is the headspacing set in the action, so that it will only be correctly assembled with the original barrel?

I have not tried to switch parts around, but curious if it could be done, to where someone with an action could collect the barrel assemblies in the different calibers, and have the stock set the way you want, and pick the caliber for what you are shooting. A somewhat moot issue, as I am sure the barrel assemblies, if they could be found, would cost close to a complete rifle, and since only 2 calibers still have ammo made for them, but still one of those "what if" questions.

Thanks
jack1653

Re: Barrel interchangeability?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey joke55,

Welcome to the forum. Always good to see another new member. You can find answers to your questions and most of the time we agree on the answers. I recently replied to a similar question and have included potions of the text from that reply.

You didn't mention the reason for changing out the barrel assembly so my answer is not straight forward. You should not change the assembly unless there is no other recourse. The barrel assemblies for the .35 Rem and .300 Savage are interchangeable with the same receiver and they use heavier springs. You should NOT interchange a .35 with the other calibers or vicea versa. The barrel assembly for the .25, .30 and .32 are intechangeable. The assemblies basically use the same springs and all are interchangeable. The only thing you may want to check would be the head spacing. While it should work you must remember that the rifle was set up for one caliber and you are changing one of the components. If you are talking about changing out only the barrel jacket, then you should not have the aforementioned head spacing issue.

Check back for some other answers. Again it is good to have you. Post some pictures of your rifle because we enjoy seeing the rifles.

Regards,

jack1653