Model 8 Questions

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Road King

Model 8 Questions

Post by Road King »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and have just recently picked up a model 8 Remington and have a couple of questions about some marks on the gun that I am curious about. The Gun is in the .32 Rem and in very good condition. The marks that I am curious about are an anchor stamp near the serial numbers and a cresent moon stamp also near the serial number. There is also an REP stamp on the right side of the barrel near the frame. What is the meaning of this? What grade rifle would this one be.
Thanks for any information that the members may have and I welcome comments as its value. Picked the gun up for $500.

Awesome site that you have here and thanks for helping.
Road King
81police

Re: Model 8 Questions

Post by 81police »

Road King,

The various markings around the serial number are inspector / fitters stamps, they are normal as is the "REP" which is a barrel proof test if I recall correctly.

The peculiar thing about your rifle is the serial number and the stock set its wearing. Your serial number places the rifle to mfg around 1920, however the flat knob pistol-grip stock would typically be found on Model 8's of mid 1930's. Your trigger plate is definitely a pistol grip, but I'd bet it originally came with a round knob pistol grip stock. If you removed the stock you may see if the serial number is present and if it matches your receiver.

Your rifle is a standard "A" grade rifle, unless is came with checkered "C" grade wood originally, no way to know though.

Hope this helps,
Cam
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Road King

Re: Model 8 Questions

Post by Road King »

Thanks Cam for the information and you are correct about the stock. I removed the stock and butt plate to find a different serial number than the gun. (#49946). I never realized that the stocks were serial number to the guns. I guess this devalues the gun as a collectable but still a nice useable gun.
Again thanks for your help.
Road King