Model 8 safety question

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
JONBEGOOD

Model 8 safety question

Post by JONBEGOOD »

Well I finally picked up my first Model 8 today in .35 rem--I was just giving it a good cleaning and I have noticed that pulling the bolt back to the open position and then releasing it as if chambering a round does not make it ready to fire--I have to put the safety on and then off ---and then it will fire. Do you always have to cycle the safety? --or is something wrong--the safety seems stiff also. I just wanted to check with the experts before I take anything apart in the receiver. I just wanted to check before I take it out to shoot. Will post pics soon. Nice to be a member of the society finally.---Hutch :D
imfuncity

Re: Model 8 safety question

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome to 8/81 addiction!

Nope, not normal as to your safety manipulating to get it to fire and all my safeties operate easily. Unfortunately I can't tell you what your problem is either - never had that one. Enjoy the adventure inside and keep us posted as to what you fine.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
JONBEGOOD

Post by JONBEGOOD »

Well I took apart the receiver and the only thing I can find is a shiny spot on the end of the safety rocker--maybe it is worn also. It seems that cocking it moves the trigger to the rear barb and then you have to flick the safety on and off to move it to the fire front barb--I'll try and post a pic but so far I havent had any luck
ImageImage
81police

Post by 81police »

Does the safety itself have both its little tabs? I believe Jack ran into similar problem.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
JONBEGOOD

Post by JONBEGOOD »

No Cam both of the little tabs on the shaft are there. I THINK I've solved it---someone had crosssthreaded the main spring screw so it wouldn't tighten up against the trigger spring underneath it--and the trigger spring just needed that little extra tension to keep the trigger in the front barb. It still won't tighten up completley but it seems to work ok. Won't know for4 sure till I get a chance to shoot it. Will post pics on the puicture page soon