Questions On Model 8

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
buford1769

Questions On Model 8

Post by buford1769 »

Hello everyone I was hopeing that y'all might be able to help out since this it the only forum that is very informative on the Model 8. I had just got my first Model 8 in 35rem and my questions are is modern ammo ok to use. Since I have shot some Hornaday 200gr yesterday and it seemed to do very well, my second question is why is the patent date July 3,1902 on my rifle , I have a 9xxx serial # , a 4 digit number . Just wondering seems weird 02 patent date if rifle did'nt come out till 1906 . any info please thanks Gary
Millerrr

Re: Questions On Model 8

Post by Millerrr »

Hello everyone, new to the website, i have a model 8 with the serial # starting with 57xxx in a 32rem its has had the stock refinished ( and i would say not a very good job ) most of the bluing has been worn off around the reciever, but no rust, someone has kept it clean and in a case, got this from a friend that owed me $$$ not sure what its worth, or how old it is, and after reading a lot of the postings on this website i'm not sure i want to sell it, take care all. Richard
Millerrr

Post by Millerrr »

Thanks for your help. Rich
colorcasemike

Post by colorcasemike »

I have just unassembled a Model 8. There appears to be no firing pin spring. The Remington service manual shows a spring, part #140, for the Model 8 and 81. When I call obsolete part suppliers, they only have ones for the 81. Did the Model 8 have a firing pin spring and if so, is it interchangable with the 81? Please help.

Colorcasemike :D
81police

Post by 81police »

colorcasemike,

It depends on when your Model 8 was manufactured. If memory serves me correctly earlier Model 8's had neither a firing pin spring nor firing pin buffer spring.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator