Manufacture Date? SN versus Date Code

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
decksterdog

Manufacture Date? SN versus Date Code

Post by decksterdog »

I recently acquired what I believe is a Rem 8 or Autoloading Rife I am not sure about the manufacture date based on the data on this Forum's website. It has a serial number of 2801 which would be 1907 manufacture date. It also has a Date Code of R P which is 1923. The Date Code does NOT have a repair digit "3" or reverse "3". What have I got here? TIA
81police

Re: Manufacture Date? SN versus Date Code

Post by 81police »

Hi decksterdog!

Great question.

The "RP" is probably not a date code. It's likely on the right side of the barrel jacket head and thus is a Remington proof stamp (R P often inside an oval). Real date codes are small stamps on the left side of the jacket head.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
decksterdog

Post by decksterdog »

81police - Thanks for that info. The RP is indeed on the right side and inside an oval shape. No date stamp on the left side, so I guess the 2810 SN is really the key = 1927 manufacture.

Second question, my rifle does not have a model number stamped on it anywhere that I can find. Is this normal for the year of the gun? The patent markings are correct for a Model 8. I did check that info. TIA
decksterdog

Post by decksterdog »

oops, typo! I meant SN 2801 = 1907 year.
81police

Post by 81police »

In the begining the gun was called The Remington Autoloading Rifle. Later designated the "Model 8" Early guns had no markings. So yes, you have a Model 8 for all practical & legal purposes.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
decksterdog

Post by decksterdog »

So should I consider it an Rem Autoloading Rifle model or the Rem 8 designation? And thanks for all your assistance.
81police

Post by 81police »

They're both the same guns. Call it whichever you prefer! According to Remington, looking back, they're all "Models 8's".
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
decksterdog

Post by decksterdog »

Thanks for the guidance. I just want to get it right as I try to fully document all my old firearms. I am obviously new to this model and appreciate the voice your knowledge and experience.